Scope of Workflow:
Microsoft Dynamics 365 workflow has 4 Scope available as mentioned below:
- User – Workflow will only run for those record whose owner is workflow owner itself or Logged in User only.
- Business Unit: Workflow will only run for those record whose owner is in the same BU of workflow owner.
- Parent-Child Business Unit: Workflow will for those record whose owner is in the same BU and Child BU of workflow owner BU.
- Organisation: Workflow will run for all records in organization regardless of owner
Execution Context of Workflow:
- It depends. Automatically triggered workflows (such as a workflow that triggers on contact create) will execute in the context of the owner of the workflow. Therefore, if you have a send email step, the email will be by default sent from the e-mail contact of the workflow owner. This is important to consider because the workflow owner might belong to a different business unit and have different privileges than the user who triggered the workflow (e.g. who created the contact).
- Let’s say your workflow creates a task each time an account is created. Depending on the privileges of the user, the task might be in another business unit and not visible to the user, therefore you should consider adding an “assign step” that assigns the new task to the owner of the account.
- Now, if the workflow is executed on-demand, the workflow will then execute in the context of the user who requests the workflow execution. Because dialogs are always on-demand then they always execute in the context of the user who started the dialog.